YADA is a thriving alcohol-free venue in the heart of Derby. The Collective exists to be a radical beacon of hope for the city. We aim to provide an alcohol-free bar in Derby city, offering an inclusive environment for those looking for an alternative to the traditional night-time economy.
We hope to provide a unique environment for local charities to reach out to members of the community, with a particular focus on those working with marginalised groups. We’ll be a showcase and learning environment for young creatives and entrepreneurs seeking to explore their vocation and vision.
- YADA began as an idea back in the summer of 2016 with some excitable – just graduated, Derby Uni students realised Derby was to continue to be their home.
- They decided it was their turn to create what they wanted to see in the city, and after a year of dreaming and planning under the support of Derby City Missions’ CEO Julio Abraham, they were ready to run our concept night in May 2017.
- This first event let us showcase our ideas to businesses, politicians, church leaders and young adults in the city.
- 8 months later the pilot phase began, running monthly events from the Art House. These were run as ‘club nights’; local DJ’s, a busy dance floor, our own bar selling incredible mocktails, punches and milkshakes which our awesome bar staff had created from scratch.
- At the time YADA operated with two rooms, the second hosting a more chilled out vibe with comfy sofas and on occasion live music and spoken word artists.
- In September 2018 YADA took a slightly different direction and made its home at BEAR for much more chilled out sober socials. A great opportunity to get to know the numerous non-drinkers in Derby.
- Now in 2020, we have our own building in the city centre. From which, we’re hosting a number of community supporting projects. The staple is our regular and yet innovative dry bar evenings. A chance for people to enjoy the nightlife without the unhelpful pressures that goes along with them.